View Single Post
Old 12-18-2011, 12:31 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Default AFO's

I have bilateral AFO's. Mine are called Toe Offs. The orthotist wanted me to try the least supportive. I don't slap, slap, slap around when I walk. I use a cane or an arm when I'm out and about. They do make me walk decent and my feet don't feel heavy like they do without them. They are like 1/16" of an inch on the sole. Then the brace part goes up the front of my leg and they have velcro above the ankle and below the knee. They give me ankle movement, etc. They fit in my normal shoes. I have no trouble driving. My feet are not numb and so I can feel where they are. I do believe I could still drive a stick shift with them.

These help enough so that I can get around the house without a cane, etc. I use counters, door frames, furniture and the like. For now they will be O.K. My foot drop is not such that I trip over my toes when I walk without them.

At some point I know I will need casted AFO's. The ones where you cannot move any part of your foot, no ankle movement and you have to have a wide shoe. They would have to fit perfectly for someone with CMT. When I get to having to have those I will lose more muscle. The healthy ones will atrophy. Never mind that the muscles affected by CMT have atrophied. And of course CMT is progressive.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"It is what it is."
Kitt is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Erin524 (12-18-2011), Koala77 (12-18-2011), SallyC (12-18-2011)