View Single Post
Old 12-18-2011, 10:48 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

What have people said you look like during these episodes?
**An impaired conscious state or a brief loss of consciousness (If I am talking with someone during the episode I can have a conversation, I just have no recollection of it. If I am at my computer by myself, its more like "falling asleep at my desk or spaced-out), Mild confusion, glazed over eyes, slow to answer or answers make no sense. If sitting, when I stand up, poor coordination until I can get my bearings, slightly slurred speech and my writing style changes.

What do you feel like just before and just after these episodes?
**I feel 100% completely fine before and after the episodes, its like they never happened what so ever.

What are you doing just before these episodes?
**Every episode (or more what I was doing at the time directly preceding it) has been completely different to the fact that I haven't been able to link any one thing to every episode.

My question about sleep can be better understood as, Are there mornings when you wake up not feeling refreshed? Sleep disturbances can be hap hazard, only happening at infrequent intervals.

You said <For a couple of months it seemed my main symptom was having an extremely hard time getting out of bed at my usual time in the morning.> This is a common symptom of sleep disturbances. The cause of these problems may have resolved to be only an occasional problem. This could easily be the reason for your spaced out or dozing off periods.

**I have had bouts before my MVA of insomnia to the point where I could literally stay up all night and go to work the next add and be completely functional and up to par work wise. The sleep issue never effected me until the MVA and then I had no problem with getting to sleep.

Do you drink coffee/ Do you ever feel like you really need it to function?
**I do drink coffee/Monster/Java Monster. I don't necessarily feel I need it to function, but I think more its been a huge staple of my work day since my teens, its just a normal thing to grab in the morning.

btw, What meds have the doctors put you on? If this is your only symptom, I am confused at to why you are on any meds.
**I am an Ultra-Rapid Metabolizer (This has also been documented-its where the enzymes in your liver that metabolize medications multiply and I have too many than "normal" making most medications useless) I also have a chronic lower back pain which existed well before my MVA. I had a leg fracture that was set incorrectly therefore throwing my whole weight distribution and alignment out of what. All the following medications I was taking well over a year before the MVA and each has been monitored since to see if due to metabolic changes b/c of the MVA anyone of them could be the issue. My doctors found this not to be the case with any of the medications. p.s. I am 5'2" and weigh about 115 lbs
1. 20/80 Hydrocodone/APAP custom compound (2 every six hours)
2. Soma 350mg (1 every 4-6 hours)
3. Adderall 30MG XR (Twice Daily)
4. Xanax 1mg (as needed)
None really worked very well before the MVA and that hasn't changed since the MVA

Are you experiencing any other symptoms?
**No other symptoms

With a good understanding of your symptoms, you will be better equipped to handle your job discrimination issues. ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act) says the employer must provide 'reasonable accommodations.' If you can offer some reasonable accommodations, they have not grounds to stand on.

My doctor said that I required no modifications to my work station, however, periodic breaks for 10-15 minutes 3 times a day would help reduce fatigue in my muscles and alleviate anxiety. They also documented that there is no way to guarantee to them 100% that these would never happen again, however those are the only times I am unable to perform my job functions. I am not "falling asleep" at my desk as they continued to document but according to the physical signs of a cerebral concussion out of the Psychiatric Manifestations of Neurologic Disease, Impaired conscious state or a brief loss of consciousness is the #1 sign.
Since the periods (4 times in 2 1/2 months) was so infrequent per the doctors, FMLA should not be an option as my brain needs to get used to being back on a normal schedule, as I could go on FMLA for 12 weeks, be completely fine and when I come back to work, have one the first day I'm back.
My doctor said and I quote "Your head went through a windshield, and besides these infrequent space-outs you're completely fine. In my book, that's miraculous. You will get better, your brain just needs time to heal and during that healing, these brief losses of consciousness may occur. Eventually they will stop but no doctor will be able to tell your work when or guarantee them that they will never happen again. These are not behavioral issues but a direct result of the accident and should be treated as such. You cannot control them, so how can they be documented as a behavioral issue?
GRTRT719 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Dmom3005 (12-19-2011)