View Single Post
Old 12-18-2011, 11:26 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Violet, Hi. I'm sorry your daughter is having so many problems so young.

Do you mind saying what drug or supplement she is dosing every half an hour? I doubt that there are any meds where that is okay to do. You can get some serious side effects.

Go to www.myasthenia.org and take a look around. There are a lot of drugs that are relatively contraindicated for MG and some that are an absolute NO. If she gets diagnosed with MG, she'll have to really read up on it. And she'll need a pulmonologist too to assess her baseline breathing. Why? For a couple of reasons. One, then her pulmy will know when she gets worse and by how much. Two, if she ever has a breathing crisis, they can look at those records in a hospital and know what her pulmy has recommended. Neurologists are not pulmonologists and you need an expert to assess breathing. When I get worse, I have standing orders to go in for tests.

As far as the sleep issue, has she brought that up with either her primary doctor or the neurologist? Is she afraid to sleep? Some people with MG are, since we can wake up gasping for air. She needs to find out what the problem is exactly before she starts throwing drugs at it! There may be a reason and there may be supplements such as vitamin D and Melatonin which might help. She could get her Vit. D level tested to see if that's an issue.

I completely agree about the Ativan. It is a muscle relaxer! When you sleep, muscles become even weaker, so not a good idea. And some drugs can send an MGer into an MG crisis.

A toe massage is not a bad idea, however, she really needs to know the cause of what's going on. Dr. Oz has a LOT of tips on how to set yourself up for a good night's sleep, as do other doctors.

That was a great thought about Graves, Abby. What is your daughter's pulse? Ever check it? Look up the symptoms of Graves and have a look.

A lack of sleep is really bad overall and even worse for MGers. I hope she'll get to a doctor soon to discuss it!

Annie
AnnieB3 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote