View Single Post
Old 12-18-2011, 11:53 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi Squoozyq,

What a mess!! You poor thing!

The dentist that did the extraction should have had a phone consult or sent you to an oral surgeon as soon as he broke off that root tip because he knew he pushed that root up into the sinus. To just suture this wound closed, was definitely not the best thing to do because the surgery was incomplete and the sinus was obviously open. To make matters worse, he sutured you a second time still aware that the root tip was in there and the sinus was perforated. This is definitely not appropriate dental care.

Did the oral surgeon remove the root tip before he did the sinus repair?? If not, then that may be the surgery he is talking about doing in the hospital. It is not wise to leave a root tip in the sinuses because it can cause a bad infection among other things .... sometimes the surgery to remove it is a bit complicated.

I cannot tell you how long the pain will last.... but until that area is free of infection, you will have chronic sinus issues.

The numbness can be from a number of things. It is best to explain your symptoms in detail to the oral surgeon and see what he says.

I'm sorry you had this happen to you...... please keep us posted.

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by squoozyq View Post
Hello!
I went to my dentist for what I thought was a routine extraction of an upper left molar....but he drilled into my sinus, and left a piece of the root (about 5-6mm) in there.
He sutured me up, but they came out two days later and there was water and food going up into my sinus and out of my nose. Cool party trick, right? Not really, it was quite painful. I went in a few days later, and he sutured me up tighter, and it was even more painful. Two days later, sutures are out and everything is coming out of my nose again.
He sent me to the oral surgeon, who had to wait almost a week to do anything because my gums were so inflamed and raw. So I took antibiotics and an oral rinse and had a sinus repair four days ago. I've had loads of swelling and bruising, and I'm still on liquids and some soft foods. The pain is still there, sinus pain, jaw pain, ear pain...since everything is connected.
I have a follow up appointment on Tuesday to see how everything is healing. He had mentioned on my first consult that there may be a subsequent surgery in hospital.
I have a few questions.
1) Why would I need another surgery?
2) Is my dentist who did the initial extraction negligent?
3) How long before the pain subsides? I've missed almost 3 weeks of work due to this wonderful situation. (Christmas is a week away, I'm worried I can't eat turkey!)
4) What now?
5) I have some numbness around my nose and lips, will this go away?

Thanks for any answers you might have!

Squoozyq
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote