View Single Post
Old 12-19-2011, 10:40 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I too have found the overly optimistic predictions of everyone including doctors to be pretty depressing when the promised recovery didn't come.

Recently got sent by my employer to an external occupational health doctor who seemed to really understand so much more about the condition even than the neurologist I have seen. Apart from that he didn't feel I would have any residual susceptibility in the future and could go back to football etc (which I disagree with) he seemed to really understand all my weird symptoms and to have seen lots of people with similar problems.

Just got his report today, and to quote one bit from it, "Most sufferers with post-concussion syndrome make a full functional recovery, but a full recovery could take as long as 12-24 months after the injury. Most individuals are fully recovered by the end of a 24 month period."

So no need to cry for the loss of the person you used to be just yet - it's still early days.

Sounds like you need to try and chill out though - I don't think I've experienced any recovery during periods when I've been stressed and depressed. Obviously you have every reason to feel like this but it involves chemicals going into your brain that are bad for you, so you have to try and avoid it anyway. Distract yourself, think about something else, try to just feel flat, whatever it takes. You can worry about these wasted months once they're over.

Make a plan involving nutrition, rest, graded activity, whatever you think is best, then tell yourself you're doing everything you can so there's no point worrying about it. Try not to do or think anything that stresses you out.

All the best!

Since recovery I have achieved a Master's degree with distinction in Neurological Occupational Therapy
Klaus is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
SpaceCadet (01-26-2012)