View Single Post
Old 12-19-2011, 10:08 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne4tos View Post
Thank you for sharing your story. I started getting left sided chest pain a few years before TOS came into the picture. I became concerned one night in particular and went to urgent care for an EKG, etc. All were normal and told I had Costochondritis, an inflammation of the costals where they connect into the sternum.

It would come and go over the next years and then TOS appeared along with constant costochondritis. From what I've seen on forums, this type of chest pain does seem to be a fairly common symptom. Was mine a harbinger of things to come?

I no longer have it and I think it's due to PT and breathing exercises, possible expanding the area and making the joints more mobile. When I did get the jolting pain above the heart, it did seem to be positional, but I don't think it was vascular related for me.

Thanks for your reply. I don't talk about this much so it was nice to see so many quick replies. I am glad to hear that you have seen relief with PT and controlled breathing. That was definitely my first try. I think you are right that the instability of the neck and shoulders can influence the likelihood of it I just wish I could find more research on the connection!

Although, believe it or not the novel I wrote was the short version. My thoracic surgeon initially thought the pain was chostrochondritis as well. He tried to do a CT to rule out cancer and confirm. He did the test where he held my sternum basically and pushed in while I coughed. He could see discomfort so he still thought costrochondritis. I tried to say it was a totally different pain then what I was referring to. Eventually we figured it out and determined that was not the case. I'm glad you are doing better but if it comes back make sure you stand up for what you know about your body because I am so glad I did since that's not what I had. Did yours feel like extreme pressure towards the left side of your chest at times? It was a tough thing to describe because it felt more like being kicked my a horse or sat on than rather than a stabbing specific pain.
Sarah21 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote