View Single Post
Old 12-20-2011, 12:36 AM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Here, I'm quoting myself from your other post.

Quote:
Whoa, hold the needle! They are going to upset the fluid balance in your body for a few days and then do a lumbar puncture right afterwards?! Is this an "urgent" procedure to have done? If not, you might want to consider waiting. Please have a conversation with a doctor about this. With your clot risk, the risk for infection while being in a hospital, meningitis, etc., you really need to talk it through. Unless you are confident all will be okay.
IVIG can cause meningitis. You didn't have symptoms of it before the IVIG, so I'm pretty sure it was the IVIG that caused it. What did your doctors say?

So why the lumbar then? Were they looking for anything else, like signs of MS or lupus? When do you get to see a report?

Any time an MGer is in such bad shape and in a hospital, it's pretty routine to do breathing tests. Did they wheel you over to the pulmonology unit for testing (probably not since you're in isolation)? What were those results?

Yes, any infection can make MG worse. You need to rest as much as possible. Seriously, pamper yourself. And it will take longer to recover now. You cannot do the same holiday stuff you are used to. You will have to be a spectator this year. Socializing is one of the worse things for MG, all that sitting up straight, talking, etc. It can make breathing and swallowing much worse.

And it is entirely possible to have BOTH viral and bacterial meningitis. Oy, 50/50 does not mean it hasn't made up its mind yet. Take care.
AnnieB3 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote