View Single Post
Old 12-20-2011, 07:07 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by annakkro View Post
Hey there, yes, i've had this issue. I had a bowel obstruction a couple of years after a revision when I was 21. The obstruction happened after I had acute appendicitis and an appendectomy. When they removed my appendix they saw the same thing as they saw in your laparascopy, tons of adhesions. I guess the scar tissue from the appendectomy was the final straw and it sealed my intestines completely. They tried to decompress it with an NG tube but that didn't work, so I had an extensive surgery to remove the adhesions.

The confusing part to me is what causes this in us? The intestinal surgeon told me it was because my shunt was draining into that area and CSF is foreign to the area and so your body develops scar tissue as a response to the CSF. But then my neurosurgeon said that it must be unrelated because CSF is actually very similar composition to the fluid in your peritoneum. I am 26 now and haven't had any obstructions since then (but sometimes I wonder if i'm getting another one). I still have a VP shunt (last revision was last week :-P) Keep us posted on how you are doing, and what the drs discover. You're the first other person i've heard of with a VP shunt and bowel obstruction. I'm sorry you're having to go through this. Have they talked about an NG tube? Although they aren't fun to have put in, they make the nausea a ton better. I hope this helps, hang in there.
Anna
No they are trying to avoid surgery as much as possible because it creates more scar tissue. It is because I have had so many revisions in my life that it just built up. They ahve been giving me colace, seneca, dulcolax, and suppositories bc I cant poop. I am going down for another X Ray tonight to see if there is anything in my system because even if you are on clear liquids which is what I was on you should still be able to produce some form of poop. Its just extremely painful to eat.
kl2568 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote