Thread: Shingles and MS
View Single Post
Old 12-20-2011, 09:58 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I had shingles three years ago, from hip to foot. I could barely walk and they were looking for another cause, but finally the medics took me to the ER for the 3rd time and Dr. Chadwick figured it out (he is the best at dx). Valtrex fixed it but I felt someone was sawing off my leg. I think I got it from taking Hydrea, which is chemo for polycythemia Vera. It let the chicken pox virus loose.

But Sally, please explain what it means that MS and Shingles come from the same Herpes virus. Now that is one I have NOT heard. Is that a new theory or an old one?

I have been having spasticity in that leg, in the same calf where it happened, and in the foot, but it is not as painful as Shingles, which was as bad as childbirth.

In the hospital I was in the same bed as the one where my husband died two months later on January 6, 2009. I had no idea what that room would mean to me. I slept in a bed next to his for twelve nights, through Christmas and until the day he died. I am glad I had the opportunity to sleep in that room....I noticed that it had an extra bed when I was there three nights with the Shingles. I had to use a walker for two months after the Shingles, just was getting over it when he died.
Mariel is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Natalie8 (12-21-2011), NurseNancy (01-25-2013)