View Single Post
Old 12-21-2011, 12:38 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanna View Post
Hi Ana,

The dark area at the extraction site near the adjacent tooth might be an area where plaque accumulates. If that is the problem, it is because plaque is an irritant to the gum tissue which would cause the dark discoloration and the hole that you mentioned. The longer the plaque accumulates there, the more extensive the problem will become.

You stated that the dentist suggested a deep cleaning.... that would indicate that there is a build up of plaque and probably some calculus below the gumline. It would be a good idea to have a thorough cleaning to remove these deposits before they cause periodontal disease.

To help you be more comfortable during the cleaning, you could ask to have it done in quadrants. The dentist could numb a quadrant prior to the cleaning so you would be comfortable. Afterwards, the gums may feel a little sore, but that's about it. Do you think you could handle something like that?

Bryanna

Bryanna,

I will be honest, both dentists suggested debridement and honestly I KNOW I can not handle this I asked for a simple cleaning with maybe some plaque removal manually just to get me going and get used to the dentist again and both dentists I went to refused.

The worst part of my entire extraction was the numbing, 2nd being the giant hole I had that I thought would never start to go away. I hated it and I will say it was worse for me then when I suffered a surgery from cancer!

Here is one thing I have noticed that makes no sense. I had gotten some food stuck in that tiny hole (deep but not wide) a few weeks ago and i used the syringe the OS gave me and even though I did not touch my gum but held it away and bit and just flushed it out a bit the hole then caved in more which is what left me with the partially exposed root to the tooth in front of it. My fear is if they disturb this area too much the entire area will be just one giant hole considering just taking a syringe to it made the hole much deeper

What other options do I have here and is it even possible that a dentist should consider my phobias to dentists and allow me to have a regualr cleaning with some manual tarter removal in quadrants then work me up to a full debridement if it is really needed? I figure if they get rid of some of the bacteria in my mouth it has to help at least a bit no? None of these dentist want to understand that I need to be worked up to this. I mean geez it took me a year of a cavity in this wisdom tooth to finally have it pulled and I am soooo sorry I did now.
Ana474 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote