View Single Post
Old 12-21-2011, 01:40 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default New member, surgery this Friday, seeking advice re:Xmas

Hello all... I am thankful to have found this board, as it seems to be filled with knowledgeable and active members... I wish I had found this months ago...

I have been dealing with shoulder/arm pain and numbness in my left hand for about 10 months now. My pain most of the summer was a 2-3, but since August it has been up to 6-7-8 range, and the last few weeks it has continued to get worse. In the last two weeks is when my multitude of doctors have finally landed on Thoracic Outlet Syndrome as the probable cause of my pain. (Diagnosis by exclusion)

My reason for seeking out some insight, I am scheduled to have rib resection surgery on Friday on my first rib on the left side. The doctor has told me that I will stay over night, and be released on Saturday (Christmas Eve).

I am looking for coaching from others who have had this surgery. My family lives three hours from the hospital, and I really want to be home with my kids for Xmas... My current plan is to have my wife drive me back home on Saturday so I can be with my family for the holiday, but I have no idea if I will be 'up' for that kind of travel the day after the surgery.

We have an SUV, so I could lay down in the back, if needed... I just don't know what to expect, so any thoughts would be great...

Thanks in advance....

Steve in Minneapolis...
(S.i.M.)
S.i.m. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote