Thread: Been a while
View Single Post
Old 12-21-2011, 03:29 AM
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakatak View Post
I just don't understand the chemistry of tramadol having an effect on a nerve type pain. It doesn't make sense...but it works.
Since I have heard things similar to this before (opioids helping PN/neuropathic pain), and at least 3 times during the past week here on NT, I did a little poking around.

I googled: peripheral neuropathy treatment opioid. The question of opioid pain medications for PN seems to be somewhat nebulous. Many sites list "painkillers" as treatment options without specifying what types, so that may be open to interpretation. Some links cite studies that support opioid therapy for neuropathic pain, others argue both ways, and some dance around it with statements like:
Quote:
Orally, opiate derivatives were found to be more effective [for chronic neuropathic pain] than cannabis for most people.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peripheral_neuropathy
without coming out and saying that opioids are an effective treatment.

It may be that the doctors are as confused as the rest of us. Science has been known to change its positions before, and maybe there's more that needs to be learned about pain and its treatment.

In the meantime, for those patients whose doctors are changing/cutting their pain meds to their detriment, I would hope it couldn't hurt to search out and glean some of the studies/articles supporting what they already know to be true, and discuss them with their doctors. If the evidence is not persuassive, they may at least get some better answers.

Doc

Dr. Smith is NOT a medical doctor. He was a character from LOST IN SPACE.
All opinions expressed are my own. For medical advice/opinion, consult your doctor.
Dr. Smith is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote