View Single Post
Old 12-21-2011, 11:07 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Nerve damage from hip surgery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zman View Post
I am new to the group. I am a 61 year old male in good shape.

I had a left hip replacement in August 2010. On the 10th day after surgery the bottom of both my feet became slightly numb. Those symptoms, perfectly bilateral have persisted since then. The numbness moves around the bottom of the feet, but always the same for both feet. Sometimes after a day on my feet I get some burning.

I went to a neurologist and he confirmed slight PN in both feet. He says that this sometimes happens post surgery as some type of healing/immune response. I have researched the condition and can find no reference to post surgery bilateral PN. I see that RSA can be sudden onslaught but I do not have any symptoms of that.

The hip is great but the PN is annoying and a disappointment.

Has anyone heard of such a thing? What if anything can I do about it. I am trying vitamin B-12 so far to no avail. I am hoping it might eventually go away, but at this point I tend to doubt it.

Thanks so much for your collective help.

[BTW - I tried to post this before, but it did not appear where I thought it would be. If I posted twice I apologize.]
My 91-year old mother has had both hips replaced. She is now suffering from peripheral neuropathy. Of course, her surgeons would not cop to any nerve damage, or simply say that her body would return to full sensation after a period of post-op recuperation.

We are seriously looking at Anodyne Therapy to mitigate the numbness and discomfort of which you write. Please keep me posted on your progress. Perhaps information could be shared for our mutual benefit.

Thanks.
jdoug6 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote