View Single Post
Old 12-21-2011, 05:06 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hi Bryanna,

The dentist didn't discuss the possibility of sinus perforation with us when he extracted the #15 tooth. Will a perforation close up by itself over time? Or does it require surgery to make that happen?

My wife has been seen by an ENT for over a year now. He initially ordered a CT scan and has examined my wife many times but has never found a problem. He continues to have my wife come back to see him every few months, to keep tabs on her I suppose. He's never mentioned a 3D scan, but we will certainly ask him about at her next appointment!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanna View Post
Craig,

I just answered your pm to me and sent you my email address for the digital xrays.

Ok, so in your previous posts you stated that your wife had an upper tooth that she thought might be a problem but her dentist told her it wasn't. In this recent post you mention that tooth #15, her upper left second molar, which was previously root canaled turned out to be in bad shape and she had it extracted.

Two things here.... #1) all root canaled teeth are infected and they cause irritation/inflammation to the surrounding bone, tissue, nerves.... etc. The longer they are present the further the deterioration. #2) Tooth #15 is often located in or near the sinus... if this were the case with this tooth, then the infection from her tooth could have proliferated into her sinuses. This condition is very, very common. Unfortunately, it is not always recognized by a dentist.... sometimes not even an oral surgeon. Therefore, it goes untreated for months, years.....and the person ends up with chronic sinus infection or worse.

Did the surgeon mention anything to her about a sinus perforation during the extraction? Has she seen an ENT doctor? A special 3 D sinus scan can be done to see if there is an opening in the sinus and/or there is infection.

Bryanna
clvaughnsr is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote