View Single Post
Old 12-21-2011, 08:38 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Jules, you surely thought it through! You have planned well.

Ewizabeth, the desk job with the commute, if you can have that, sounds like a good idea.
For most people a desk job is maybe not as appealing as a standing up selling job, because you are more active standing up. But I gather this is a job in which you don't get to periodically sit down, which would make all the difference for a person with MS.

In my teaching job, I stood up about half the time, including walking between classes and between classes and office, and sat down the rest of the time. So I was up and down constantly, and this allowed me to take the load off my feet, legs, back, whatever might be sluggish because of neurological difficulty. But if you only get lunch break and two afternoon breaks out of 8 hours, or even more hours when you work late, that's too much time on your feet unbroken by sitting down.

A teacher at our college got MS and within a couple of years she took a secretarial desk job in the Business Department. I didn't know her well but I passed her every day on my way to class. I thought that this was kind and decent of the Business Dept. to give her a sit-down job so she could continue to work.

The commute doesn't sound too bad if you are riding a bus. Driving that much might be a lot to do, especially if it entails a polluted freeway on which you are right down in the pollution (on a bus you are seated higher than in a car). I used to commute 45 minutes to an hour to high school on a bus, and it was good day dreaming time after school, or even reading time.

I don't know if that would make it easier to take the classes--does not sound like it particularly. But maybe.
Mariel is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ewizabeth (12-21-2011), ginnie (12-22-2011), hollym (12-22-2011), Jules A (12-21-2011)