View Single Post
Old 12-21-2011, 10:10 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi Ana,

Not having your teeth cleaned for several years means there will be a buildup of hard deposits called calculus on your teeth.... both above and below the gumline. Calculus is a build up of plaque that over time becomes very hard and tenacious. Bacteria thrive in plaque and calculus which causes chronic inflammation. Calculus below the gum line will literally erodes the bone, eventually leading to infection and loose teeth. There are also many systemic risks associated with this type of bacteria in the mouth.... diabetes, heart disease and kidney disease are just 3 of the major ones.

With that said, there is no such thing as a "regular cleaning" for someone with this condition because the teeth cannot be cleaned with the calculus still on them. It's not that easy to just remove some of it as it is literally layers upon layers that have hardened onto the tooth and root. Depending on how long it's been forming, the calculus can actually alter the shape of the tooth where it has been growing on. If someone were to try and remove pieces of it, it would be painful, costly and not at all beneficial.

A debridement is often the first step to a deep cleaning. It simply looses some of the tenacious calculus and removes some that is not below the gumline. But this procedure needs to be followed up with additional scalings to be beneficial. You can do one quadrant of debridement at a time.... that is the least invasive way to do it and the discomfort afterwards will not be that bad. This may be the longest way to get it all done but it may be the easiest for you. You can book the appointments at 2 week intervals times 4 appointments. Then at your last debridement appointment they can evaluate the remaining build up on your teeth and either do 4 more appointments of quadrant scaling or 2 appointments of scaling doing 2 quadrants at each appointment. It depends on how much buildup there is remaining.

With regard to the extraction sight caving in after you flushed out some food debris.... the food irritated the gum tissue causing it to inflame which made it look bigger or more full than it really was. When the irritant (food) was gone, the gum inflammation decreased to where the healthy tissue really is. It is normal to have some gum recession on the tooth next to the extracted one. If this area is not cleaned every day, it will recess further from the irritation of the plaque.

There is no benefit to removing some of the calculus in your mouth and not all of it because the bacteria literally comes back fourfold onto the calculus that has not been removed.

You shouldn't be sorry that you had that wisdom tooth removed if it had decay in it. You could have ended up with a major infection from that cavity and now that is one less thing you have to be concerned about.

Do you think you could try the quadrant debridement and scalings?

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ana474 View Post
Bryanna,

I will be honest, both dentists suggested debridement and honestly I KNOW I can not handle this I asked for a simple cleaning with maybe some plaque removal manually just to get me going and get used to the dentist again and both dentists I went to refused.

The worst part of my entire extraction was the numbing, 2nd being the giant hole I had that I thought would never start to go away. I hated it and I will say it was worse for me then when I suffered a surgery from cancer!

Here is one thing I have noticed that makes no sense. I had gotten some food stuck in that tiny hole (deep but not wide) a few weeks ago and i used the syringe the OS gave me and even though I did not touch my gum but held it away and bit and just flushed it out a bit the hole then caved in more which is what left me with the partially exposed root to the tooth in front of it. My fear is if they disturb this area too much the entire area will be just one giant hole considering just taking a syringe to it made the hole much deeper

What other options do I have here and is it even possible that a dentist should consider my phobias to dentists and allow me to have a regualr cleaning with some manual tarter removal in quadrants then work me up to a full debridement if it is really needed? I figure if they get rid of some of the bacteria in my mouth it has to help at least a bit no? None of these dentist want to understand that I need to be worked up to this. I mean geez it took me a year of a cavity in this wisdom tooth to finally have it pulled and I am soooo sorry I did now.
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote