View Single Post
Old 12-21-2011, 10:23 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi ginnie,

It's OK to come to me with questions.... anytime!!

To clarify what this person's childhood dentist did.... he bonded two molars together because they were not stable enough to be on their own. This means that she had periodontal disease in at least this area of her mouth that was causing these teeth to become loose. The problem with doing this is that the outcome of both of these teeth will be hopeless because if she can't clean them properly the bacteria that is causing the disease in the first place is now able to proliferate. This bonding technique is rarely done anymore for just those reasons.

Your dentist was being honest with her. Generally, periodontal disease is not localized to one area of the mouth and if it starts out that way and is not brought under control, the disease will progress quickly to other areas of the mouth. If a tooth or teeth are so loose that they need a buddy to hold them up... that's a sure sign of periodontal disease and you're right, those teeth did not get loose over night! The bacteria had to be living in there for many months if not several years.

If she is uncertain as to what to do.... I would suggest she consult with a periodontist... she should bring her xrays (ALL of them, even from her previous dentist) to show a history of what is going on in her mouth.

Does this information help?? More questions.... just ask me

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginnie View Post
I hate to come to you with another question, but there are issues going on with my housemate. We need your advise. One year ago, her childhood dentist of 25+years, discovered a loose molar, furthest back molar upper right. He attached the tooth to the one infront of it for stability. After that she was unable to floss between these teeth. She developed pain.
Update, one year later, she goes to my new dentist. He prompty tells her both of these teeth are loose and must come out. She had them pulled. Then he tells her she has a mouth full of peridontal disease, and must have all quadrants deep root cleaned. He also told her that this disease would have been apparant last year when she visited her origional doctor. Her former doctor said she was just fine with the rest of her mouth, no problems. So what is going on here? Should she go for another opinion before investing this money for deep root cleaning? Personally she has really good cleaning habbits, no bleeding, does floss etc. Which doctor isn't telling the truth? How is she able to make a choice if two versions of her mouth is being given. she could not have developed this serious a condition over night, or even in one year according to the new dentist. she had trusted her origional doctor. What to do? It is $700 to do all the deep root cleaning. thanks for your responce Bryanna, she really doesn't know what to think ginnie
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ginnie (12-26-2011)