View Single Post
Old 12-22-2011, 12:36 AM
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittycapucine1974 View Post
So, when our body knows it is not receiving enough medication to maintain a certain constant level in our blood, our body responds to this lack of medication by using withdrawal symptoms? I wonder if withdrawal symptoms just happen with opioids or if they can occur with any medication.
Withdrawal occurs when a body is deprived of any substance it has become physically dependent upon. This includes opioids, and can include many other drugs (and types of drugs) but it does not occur with any/all drugs.

Quote:
So, if my health conditions have worsened, causing my pain to get worse, it means the pain medication is no longer controlling the pain as well as it used to. I thought an increase in tolerance to a pain medication, responsible for withdrawal, could happen or not happen, even if my health conditions have worsened.
That is also possible. I think it's important that all pain patients understand these terms and the differences between them.

http://www.erowid.org/psychoactives/...finitions1.pdf

Doc

Dr. Smith is NOT a medical doctor. He was a character from LOST IN SPACE.
All opinions expressed are my own. For medical advice/opinion, consult your doctor.
Dr. Smith is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote