Thread: Back Pay
View Single Post
Old 12-22-2011, 12:44 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdh1 View Post
I received $5200 back pay today. I called the local SS office and they said it was from SSI. I'm not getting SSI, I'm getting SSDI. I didn't want to argue with the woman on the phone so I just let it go. My back pay from SSDI should be about 12K. I don't know what's going on but I don't want to make waves with the local SS office. Has this ever happened to anyone? By the way, on my SS account on their website says I'm getting SSDI $975 a month and it also says I'm on SSI. I think something is messed up.
I would guess that you have both an SSI and and SSDI claim that were approved and that the SSI paid first. You should have two award letters: one says Supplemental Security Income on the top and the other says Retirement, Suvivor's and Disability Insurance. The RSDI award letter includes a paragraph that your retroactive benefits are being held pending a decision on the SSI. Now that SSI has paid, the amount paid from SSDI will be factored into how much of the $12K will be paid to you because of windfall offset.

If the SSA office is telling you that it is SSI, I would believe it.
Janke is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote