View Single Post
Old 12-22-2011, 01:28 AM
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittycapucine1974 View Post
Hi, Dr. Smith:

Quote: "Sometimes rotation is forced upon a patient with the same results."

Does this mean a doctor can force a patient to have opioid rotation even if the patient does not agree?
That is not what I meant, but it can work that way. The example I gave explained what I meant. My friend was on one medication that was working fine for her, but when she lost her insurance, she could no longer afford that medication, so the change was "forced" upon her by economic considerations.

There are times when a doctor may feel that a medication change is in the best interest of the patient, and may insist upon the change. Here in the U.S., a patient has the right to refuse treatment, so that patient could refuse the change. But a doctor also has the right to refuse to treat a patient (in a non-life-threatening situation), or to stop prescribing pain medications if s/he feels that is justified.

I do not know what the practice/policy is in other parts of the world.

Quote:
Was this person then tolerant to MSER since she needs only 2/3 of the "equivalent" dose of Oxycontin she had been taking before?
She was still opioid tolerant, yes, but she is less tolerant of the MSER than she was to the Oxy. This is one reason rotation is done.

Once a person has become opioid tolerant, they remain tolerant until their bodies adjust to having less/no opioid present. This can occur slowly over a long time by slowly reducing the amount of opioid present, or suddenly, in which case they go through withdrawal.

When a doctor changes a patient's opioid medication, it is usually done by titration. They start with an intentionally low dose (often about 1/2 of the equivalent dose of the original opioid), and increase as needed until they find the lowest dose necessary to provide the desired effect. Some temporary withdrawal symptoms may occur, but not nearly as severe as if the patient stopped abruptly.

Even more care must be taken when rotation/switching to methadone - titrating more slowly - because of the potential for adverse reactions. This has been discussed on other threads re: methadone.

Doc

Dr. Smith is NOT a medical doctor. He was a character from LOST IN SPACE.
All opinions expressed are my own. For medical advice/opinion, consult your doctor.
Dr. Smith is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote