Thread: Mitochondria:
View Single Post
Old 12-22-2011, 12:49 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeuroLogic View Post
I just heard about PQQ, which a search on this board indicated has not been discussed previously.

"PQQ’s powerful free radical–scavenging capacity provides the mitochondria with superior antioxidant protection due to its high molecular stability and the role it plays in energy transfer directly within the mitochondria.

"Unlike other antioxidants, the exceptional molecular stability of PQQ allows it to carry out thousands of electron transfers without undergoing molecular breakdown.

"PQQ is especially effective in neutralizing superoxide and hydroxyl radicals, two prominent causes of mitochondrial dysfunction.

"According to a University of California at Davis study, “PQQ is 30 to 5,000 times more efficient in sustaining redox cycling (mitochondrial energy production) . . . than other common [antioxidant compounds], e.g. Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C).”

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyrroloquinoline_quinone

It sounds too good to be true, but I'm going to try some anyway.

This is the stunning part:

"In 2010, researchers at the University of California at Davis released a peer-reviewed publication showing that PQQ’s critical role in growth and development stems from its unique ability to activate cell signaling pathways directly involved in cellular energy metabolism, development, and function.

"Most significantly, the study demonstrated that PQQ not only protects mitochondria from oxidative stress—it promotes the spontaneous generation of new mitochondria within aging cells, a process known as mitochondrial biogenesis.

"The implications of this revelation for human health and longevity are significant because the only other known methods proven to stimulate mitochondiral biogenesis in aging humans are intense aerobic exercise, strict caloric restriction, and certain medications such as thiazolidinediones and the diabetes drug metformin."

This is very good news for me and others whose chronic fatigue has not allowed intense aerobic exercise.

There also appear to be other significant neuro benefits to PQQ.
That is very interesting. Are you on any other medications? I am wondering about the contraindications. I think I would really like to give this a try. I am one of those with no energy. Thanks for the info!
hopeful is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
DejaVu (10-14-2012)