View Single Post
Old 12-22-2011, 05:04 PM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Question

Well... I am not an expert on PD and B vitamin metabolism.

It seems that SAM has been documented low in PD patients for a LONG time. Whether that is causative or a result, I've never seen documentation about.

This quoted article is in error however about B12 being rendered ineffective by stomach acids!
Quote:
(B12 supplement should be "under the tongue" or sublingual form. stomach acids render an oral form useless.
This is just an example of a scientific paper that is totally lacking in truth on this one detail. There are many papers showing that oral B12 works very well... as long as it is taken on an empty stomach so food will not compete for absorption once it gets to the small intestine. The acids in the stomach DO NOT degrade B12 at all. I don't know where that author gets that!
In fact sublingual is really suspect, since the cobalamin molecule is so huge it can't cross the small area of the mouth effectively.

This is only one medical reference (recent) to explain how oral swallowed B12 can work:
http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/post834583-5.html

It is best to use methylcobalamin --- in 1mg to 5mg doses daily on an empty stomach, for best results.

It is true to use methylfolate in those with the DNA polymorphism however.

I think PD is complex....very complex. So I tend to refrain from commenting about PD supplements. PD may be different for different patients, or we just don't know enough.

I'll interject this PQQ information..about mitochondrial decay and using this supplement to prevent it here. Anyone know about this? It just turned up on our PN forum:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyrroloquinoline_quinone

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
olsen (12-22-2011)