View Single Post
Old 12-22-2011, 06:39 PM
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member

I respectfully disagree that the article is "excellent", and I'm extremely disappointed in AARP's (IMO) lack of journalistic integrity, because this article is slanted and blatently distorts (by ommission) certain relevant facts.

The gist of the article is the implication that thousands of people are dying every year from "prescription" opioid painkillers illustrated by one horrific case.

I'm referring specifically to this paragraph:
Quote:
From 1999 through 2007, the number of unintentional overdose deaths from prescription opioid painkillers — such as oxycodone, hydrocodone, methadone, and the fentanyl patch — more than tripled, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. In fact, these painkillers have now surpassed heroin and cocaine as the leading cause of fatal overdoses.
I tracked down the source of this statement in this CDC article:
http://www.cdc.gov/HomeandRecreation...ssue-brief.pdf

Now, here's the problem. In the article, "Prescription opioid painkillers" ≠ Opiod painkillers prescribed by a doctor.

The CDC source article clearly states the following:

Quote:
A drug poisoning occurs when that substance is an illegal, prescription, or
over-the-counter drug.
Unintentional drug poisoning includes drug overdoses resulting from drug misuse, drug abuse, and taking too much of a drug for medical reasons.
This document summarizes the most recent information about deaths and emergency department (ED) visits resulting from drug poisoning. Information about deaths comes from death certificates for deaths in 2007.
Because opioids cause euphoria, they have been associated increasingly with misuse and abuse. Opioids are now widely available in illicit markets in the United States.
And goes on to say more about prescription drugs being used/abused illegally.

While the CDC article cites a lot of statistics, those statistics include (or make no distinction between) drugs prescribed by doctors and prescription drugs sold illicitly (on the street) while the AARP article makes no such distinction nor mention whatsoever of illicit/street drugs or that the statistics they cite include them. AARP may be giving the impression (whether unintentionally or otherwise) that all those deaths are from medications legally prescribed by doctors and properly taken by patients. (That paragraph sure is an attention grabber!)

This makes a HUGE difference. Now, I have no doubt that there are accidental deaths from medications of many kinds prescribed by doctors and properly taken by patients (sadly, it happens), and I have no quibble with the safety aspects/precautions in the AARP article. But I also think they exaggerated the problem by their wording and omission of any mention of illicitly used/abused prescription meds, which may in fact account for a large majority of those deaths.

Read both articles and decide for yourselves if the AARP (who I am generally a supporter of) gave a slanted impression. I think an article pointing out safety concerns of prescription medications is a good idea, but I also think it should be journalistically responsible in its assessments.

Something I did notice in the CDC article - and this may be coincidental - is that:
Quote:
States in the Appalachian region and the Southwest have the highest death rates. The highest drug overdose death rate was found in West Virginia...
...and Oxycontin is A.K.A "Hillbilly Heroin".

Doc

Dr. Smith is NOT a medical doctor. He was a character from LOST IN SPACE.
All opinions expressed are my own. For medical advice/opinion, consult your doctor.
Dr. Smith is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote