View Single Post
Old 12-23-2011, 02:48 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Benefits of cognitive testing

Hello,
I'm the mom of an 18 year old high school football player. He has suffered 5 concussions since August of 2011 (its now December of 2011) He stupidly decided not to tell anyone of his symptoms until recently.

MRI is normal..Had baseline Impact done in August and just recently two weeks ago (after a concussion at wrestling practice). Had another Impact test done yesterday (12/21/11) showed mild improvement but a decline in some areas--especially motor skills.

His symptoms include a 24hr/day headache since August, intermittent dizziness, forgetfulness, problems concentrating, fatigue, & irritability.

We went to a nationally prominent neuro psycologist at the prompting of the athletic trainer and our family physician.

My son knows now (after the doctor visit) that he will not participate in ANY contact sports. The doctor wants to perform additional cognitive tests and teach him to manage the headaches (after a EMG test to determine stress points in his body).

My question is: What is the benefit of all this extra testing? If we know that eventually he'll get better with LOTS of rest and that there really is no "cure" for this..why should we continue?

It's probably a stupid question..but one that's been sticking in my mind.

I'd appreciate any thoughts/suggestions.

Thanks,
Jennifer
jentaylor728 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote