View Single Post
Old 12-23-2011, 12:07 PM
Magnate

10 yr Member
Magnate

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeuroLogic View Post
I've got about six books on hypothyroidism, and I'm not sure they all agree anyone with it has to take meds for life. That's a good way to sell meds. There's a huge amount of doctors who are ignorant about thyroid problems and misinform their patients; hence the website stopthethyroidmadness.com.
Once throid disease (which is heriditary) begins, you do have to continue blood tests. That is how the doctor knew about the Graves Disease, also when I went in remission (which is quite unusual). The meds for Graves disease (hyperthroid) should not taken for more than 2 years or if it continues, need to have part of the throid destroyed/removed.

Only thru continual blood test did it show I had become Hyporthroid. The meds (Synthroid) can be taken for life and usually are. The doseage is dependent on the continued blood work. I did find our (thru the internet) that the generic for Synthroid is not recommended and does not work the same way.

Originally, I was using the generic and blood test showed, I needed a higher dose. I asked my doctor to have me do "brand only" Synthroid instead of raising the prescription. 4 months later, the blood test showed normal. Once the disease is set of for various reasons, you should alway be tested for changes. It does not go away.
ger715 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote