View Single Post
Old 12-23-2011, 03:43 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I am not a doctor, but I can tell you what happened to me. Night time seizures where I lose conciousness and bite my tongue hard, day time "spells" of confusion/slow motion/memory issues. Moments when my head and jaw locks and I cannot reply. Speech problems come and go. I may or may not have stomach issues when this happens.

I have celiac disease and the gastroenterologist believes that may be the cause. My neurologist seems to question that I even have celiac. My primary care physician seems to think celiac is just a stomach ache that can be fixed by eliminating gluten. Celiac is really a disease that can hide in your body and cause malnutrition. As such, it can pop up with all sorts of symptoms, lilke joint aches, or neurological symptoms like migraines, and seizures. A gastroenterologist is needed to do blood tests and a scope of your intestines.

Celiac is controlled by going on a gluten free diet. This is hard to do because most everything seems to be a hidden source of wheat. (Kraft foods and General Mills are unusual in that the two companys make a point of disclosing ANY source of wheat in their products. Chex- corn, rice, and a couple of others are gluten free as well) But the gluten free diet does not work unless you get it ALL out of your diet and keep it out for long enough for your body to cleanse and heal itself.

Do not take this as a diagnosis. Take it as hope for your future. Good luck.
CarolN is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote