View Single Post
Old 12-23-2011, 04:41 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I had one doctor (a neurologist) tell me that once you have one autoimmune condition it is fairly commor for it to "trigger" another one. Of course when I told this to the rheumatologist he sent me to she looked at me funny and asked how that would happen. I've read online in a few places about this idea of "triggering" other conditions...but every other thing they checked me out for basically came back fine and all my strange issues stem from the RSD itself.

It's fairly common for people with RSD to develop gastroparesis though. I know a number of people on this board have that.

And all the medications we take for RSD can cause all their own problems. I developed seratonin syndrome from the meds the docs had me on. That was a whole mess that I didn't need when I was having spread and increased pain levels from the RSD at the same time.

And I have also heard that RSD can weaken the immune system so we are more likely to develop recurring infections and other illnesses. Since I got the RSD I have had problems with a recurring MRSA infection and UTIs.

It's important to make sure that whenever something new pops up symptom wise that you get it checked out. RSD can cause a host of very strange things...but if we just assume it's the RSD then we could be missing out on something serious that could possibly be easily treated or that can lead to something much worse if it is not treated quickly. At the same time...it's always good to know what sorts of things RSD can cause. I had just this ridiculous list of problems that I started having this year after the RSD got worse and spread. The docs bounced me around, ran a million tests, and several either did not know or would not admit that the RSD could be causing these things. If I didn't have the people on this board and the internet as a resource I would have thought I was going nuts. But it turns out that it was mostly just the RSD getting worse (with seratonin syndrome on top of it causing hallucinations).

Sort of a crummy situation to be in. Hope other people can jump in with more experience on whether the RSD can "trigger" other conditions or if someone with RSD is more likely to have/develop other autoimmune issues/
catra121 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote