View Single Post
Old 03-27-2007, 11:08 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default My Neuro just

explained this to me yesterday. I have had the leg twitching as one of my main symptoms since the onset of my PN last May. I asked my Neuro why my legs twitch and he stated that as the nerves die (in my case, in my feet and lower legs) they do regrow, but not in as high numbers. In other words, where a muscle fiber might have had 100 nerve endings, 100 die off as a result of PN, and then 30 grow back. It is not enough to support the muscle fiber. When the nerve gets "stimulated" by something, be it hormones, or movement, for example, the nerve reacts and moves the muscle fiber, but the movement is twitchy because of the decreased number of nerve endings. They can't fully support the muscle fibers.

So when you are stimulate your legs and feet with the massager, it activates the nerves and the muscle fibers and they twitch. My doc described this in a much more eloquent manner, but that is the idea. I just made up the nerve endings numbers as an example....I don't think it is an accurate representation, just one to give you an idea of the concept.

I was so relieved to find out what causes the muscle twitching....something I have searched for for a while.

So I don't think it is detrimental in any way, if it relieves your pain, I'd continue.

Ann
ann-elizabeth is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
pjmnash (10-31-2014)