View Single Post
Old 12-24-2011, 10:42 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Constant crown awareness

Hi there,

I've had a molar extracted about two years ago. I've had two titanium implants inserted 3 months ago, one for a premolar that never grew and another for the molar that got extracted. At the beginning of this week, I've had two temporary crowns fitted on my implants until my orthodontic treatment gets completed.

Ever since, I've been acutely aware of the molar crown. At first, I thought it was only a matter of adapting to the new objects in my mouth but I realized that the crown overlaps the gum. In comparison, a regular tooth "erupts" from the bone and gums and is a perfect fit with the surrounding tissues. This molar crown instead creates a little "pocket" between itself and the gums, as if it were too large even though its proportions seems kind of in line with the rest of the teeth. Furthermore, during suction, my cheek gets sucked in that little space and has now formed a small bulge; it doesn't hurt but since it's innervated, I'm constantly aware of that small defect and it makes for a rather annoying (and constant!) feeling.

Could something be done about it? Would the problem be solved once the permanent crowns are placed? Did I lose bone mass between the time the molar got extracted and the implant, making for too narrow a surface for the crown to fit properly?

I know my issue is rather trivial in comparison to what other members usually post but I can't ask my dentist about it since he's on vacation and the prospect of having to adapt to this kind of feeling makes me anxious so any kind of feedback would be really appreciated.
Cheesum is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote