View Single Post
Old 12-24-2011, 02:25 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark in Idaho View Post
I am with you on the damage caused by alcohol. The sugar studies are anecdotal and have not been scientifically studied. I believe there is value to moderating sugar intake but not to the level some suggest. The sugar in an apple or carrot is very concentrated, too. The young growing brain is more susceptible to the BDNF effects of sugar since the brain is still growing and maturing.

Please tell us more about your son's concussions and recovering. As I said, adolescence is a tough time for a concussion injury.
Hi Mark:
Yes, an apple, carrot and many fruits contain natural fructose, but the fiber eaten from the fruit allows your body to take up the sugar at a slower pace.

My son sustained his first concussion in May, 2010 while away at a retreat - falling full force backwards onto his head. We were never called. Six weeks later while playing badminton, he fell to the ground returning a shot and thus began full blown post concussive symptoms. Two months later, he fell onto his forearms playing and he was almost back to the beginning with symptoms. In Feb 2011, he had a door opened into the occipital part of his head and his symptoms were incredible. His visual processing and auditory symptoms were exponential. He missed a month of school and also suffers from occipital neuralgia as well. Without going into additional detail, he still suffers from extreme visual and auditory processing difficulties, word finding, etc. He is very brave and courageous to be living with with adult pain and symptoms at an age where he should be living large.
NourishYourNoggin is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote