View Single Post
Old 12-26-2011, 09:06 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrudyGarnett View Post
I just joined this website given that my mom was just diagnosed with RSD and it has been a really hard few months for us. I am a only child and am extremely worried about my mom. She had a morton's neuroma removed September 1 and hasn't been the same since the surgery. She has chronic pain in her foot and leg and after going back to the podiatrist many times after the surgery, she finally decided to consult with our PCP given that the podiatrist just kept telling her that it would eventually get better. After a blood clot, many trips to a vascular doctor and a visit with a orthopedic surgeon, she was diagnosed with RSD. She had a test done to test the blood flow in her foot and leg, which went well, but she's still in severe pain and I am at a loss as to what to do to help. She is taking neurontin, but the side effects are horrible for her given that she is very sensitive to medications.

I have read many posts about RSD and it scares me to death. My mom lives in Virginia (I live in Denver) and she is seeing another anesthesiologist next week for a second opinion, but she is almost at the point of a mental breakdown. I have found that many people using this forum have gone through some very difficult times with RSD and I am looking for support and any recommendations on doctors and treatments. The first anesthesiologist she saw about a month ago recommended a nerve block, but she would like a second opinion because she didn't trust the first doctor. Does anyone know of a doctor in Virginia that can help her? I am willing to do whatever it takes to get her the help she needs. She is depressed and frustrated and I can't explain how hard it is to not be able to stop the pain she goes through on a daily basis. Thank you so much for any help or advice you can offer!
Trudy--I am sorry about your mom. I also realize how difficult it is for you as it has been extremely hard for my four kids to try
and understand this and have no idea what to do to help. Any time I see anesthesiologist mentioned, I try to point out that PM--Pain Mgt docs come either from the route (many more) or from neurologists who normally have a much better idea why certain procedures are done and why they work and when they do not, why not; versus the anesthesiologist who is trained to
knock people out, then learns various procedures as blocks etc., to me no more than a PA or NP doing the procedure. The top Docs dealing with RSD/CRPS that I know of are all neurologists with the exception of one having been a podiatrist and surgeon. I researched it once before but forget the figures but there are a great higher number of PM docs coming from anesth. (provides anesths w/ another discipline) than neurologists, some who specialize completely in epilepsy and know little if anything about RSD/CRPS. So while it is not always possible or feasible, I would always opt for the neurology trained doc who has entered pain management.
I have had both and had no problems with the PMs trained in anesth but will say I have asked questions re procedures which they had no answer while again, the neurologist knew why it was being done and what did nervous system etc. which only makes sense as it is their training. I wish you and mom all the best. You are doing all you can by learning at a forum such as this. Do not neglect your own needs or health, this is a lifelong battle. God Bless--marty hansen austin, tx.