Thread: spread question
View Single Post
Old 12-26-2011, 04:35 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimsGirl View Post
I have crps in my right forearm/hand and its a wc injury related issue.

For the last several weeks I've been having issues with my right leg. Burning pain, swelling, blueish, cold, I'm up all night screaming crying in pain honestly at times I'm looking at my crps hand thinking aren't you my affected appendage!?!? Last night was the worst, I was up all night even the blanket hurt my leg. Can it spread to a leg and not mirror the other appendage? I always assumed it would if it were to spread go to my left arm. I see my wc Dr soon and I'm currently ttd but she's not going to want to treat my leg for sure! I am under the care of a more well versed (albiet controversial per the front page of this forum pain management doc in southern California) who may help me fight wc. I have an appt with my own neurologist tomorrow because I'm currently also dealing with pseudo tumor cerebri, and she is well versed in crps as well. But like I said I thought it would go to my left arm if it were to ever spread, what's wrong with my leg!
In the research study called "Patterns of Spread in Complex Regional Pain Syndrome, type 1 (reflex sympathetic dystrophy), they identified 3 distinct patterns of spreading CRPS, but they described 4 patterns in total, they are contiguous spread (CS), mirror spread (MS), independent spread (IS) and disassociated spread (DS). This research was a very important addition to my 'spread apeal' with WCB along with doctors reports, and innitaly my doctors only wanted to listen to WCB policy that it didnt spread as well, this research helped put things back into proper perspective and got my doctors researching spread too.

http://www.rsds.org/pdfsall/makeki_l...chwartzman.pdf

In this study they explain how it is possible to have more than one type of spread at the same time, and how aberrant CNS generation of neurogenic inflammation likely plays a roll in the initial presentation and the spread of CRPS type 1.

I am sory you are having to deal with spreading, for me it has gone from my right foot to full body.. though in increments. I have fought wcb on every issue and won most of my battles, because in my appeals I provided the medical research as well as the evidence of my medical records and doctors reports, they finally accepted CRPS in all 4 of my limbs when their original mandate was that it did not spread, where I am located (then).
Good luck Jimbo and be aware there is now a lot more research like this out there too.

_ Sandra
Sandel is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote