View Single Post
Old 12-27-2011, 03:29 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Thank you everyone for your responses and help. I know SCS seems very extreme for a young 13-yo, but I am so desperate to find some relief for my daughter. She has since had yet another nerve block and they just aren't working. It has finally effected her psychological state and she is really struggling right now with the thought of having to live with pain for the rest of her life with seemingly no relief. We are also trying a compounding cream (combination of 5 medications), which does not seem to be helping after 4 days use; we were told she should feel some relief after the first day or so, but nothing. My always smiling, joker of a daughter is now withdrawn and not-so smiley as she use to be. Just kills me to see her like this, especially when there is nothing I can do to relieve her pain, not even a little bit.
I am aware of some of the oral medication options, I am, however, afraid to start her on these, as a lot of these are so addictive and being so young, has a longer period of time to need to increase doses as time goes by and her body becomes resistant.
She doesn't remember life without pain in her hand, as she got the original (painful) infection when she 8 and has lived with pain in her hand ever since. Most of the time she doesn't limit her activities because of pain, she has just learned to live through it. However, there have been periods of time, months at a time, where she is unable to use her hand due to pain and due to her psychological frame of mind right now, I want to get some solution, any solution before she is debilitated again.
She did go through an outpatient day treatment program at St. Jude's with PT & OT, which helped a little.
Thanks again everyone for your responses and your help. We see her doc in a couple weeks and we will be talking about some other options.
accox4 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote