View Single Post
Old 03-27-2007, 03:46 PM
Young Senior Elder Member

15 yr Member
Young Senior Elder Member

15 yr Member
Default Awe without the Shock..

I have such an appreciation for people who can write so descriptively that I can "see" in my mind, or maybe even smell what they are writing about.

For instance the Food section of yesterdays paper had an article about leeks.
I happen to love leeks and often cook with them. The author, Amy Scattergood, (can that really be her name?) made me appreciate them in a whole new way.

Here's an excerpt of what she wrote:

Sometimes a vegetable perfectly matches its true season, bestowed upon us from plant or earth like a metaphor. After the solemn cold of winter, when farmers market stalls seem to rescind their promises, leeks emerge from the earth, dirt- clad and single-minded, as vertical as hope.

Without the raw force of an onion or the hollow delicacy of a bouquet of chives, leeks rely on subtlety and fortitude. A leek is by its nature a patient vegetable. Slow growing underground, able to bide its time once out of it, a leek also can hold up to a myriad cooking techniques, as if the very patience that held it through the slow winter has become alloyed in the leek's own concentric rings.

I think we could learn a lot from leeks.

I also appreciate Map Quest who will get me where I need to go, mindless of the fact that I have no sense of direction.

I appreciate those ready to eat, hard cooked, peeled eggs that you can buy now....can quickly make egg salad or deviled eggs.

I appreciate my Pastor who slows me down and reminds me of the reason....

I appreciate and giggle at the commercial with the married big turtles (I can't spell tortoise) YOU PUSH IT.......

And I especially appreciate anyone with a sense of humor...who can laugh at themselves.

Alffe is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote