View Single Post
Old 12-27-2011, 08:04 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Oxygen and Peripheral Neuropathy

Sleeping with my head covered by a sheet started when I had to turn the room temperature down to quieten my nerves enough to get to sleep. But that meant I'd only breathe cold air. But I couldn't sleep while inhaling cold air.

I was tired, wanted to get to sleep, and didn't bother to go online to see if there were any health risks. I didn't wake up choking or anything, but eventually I asked my doctor if this could be a health hazard. I was actually more concerned at the time about carbon dioxide than oxygen.

He said: "Probably not."

Now I wonder if it can cause a very small amount of damage each night and the process of worsening health because of it is so slow you don't notice for years.

Yesterday I found a site that says poor oxygen while sleeping with your face covered by a sheet/blanket can cause health problems. (Not a scientific study, so I'm not sure.)

I also read somewhere else that your nerves benefit from oxygen and lack of oxygen can cause PN. "Chronic hypoxia is a well known cause of peripheral neuropathy." [Source]

There's even talk about hyperbaric chambers of oxygen bringing healing from PN.

Does anyone here have any research, experience, or opinions on the importance of oxygen, fresh air, etc., on nerve health and neuropathies?

See also: Obstructive sleep apnea: an underestimated cause of peripheral neuropathy
NeuroLogic is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote