View Single Post
Old 12-27-2011, 11:38 AM
Magnate

10 yr Member
Magnate

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eowyn View Post
Yeah, it is a complicated situation. I'm working part time (limited hours due to my condition), but it isn't going well. I am not able to tolerate the daily stresses.

My employer also needs to lay people off, so there is the potential that they could lay me off, I could resign, or they could place me on extended medical leave.

Just wondered if the different options would have any impact on my SSDI application.
You're not in CA, HI, RI, NY or NJ, correct? If you said in the past, I don't remember.

Unpaid medical leave?

The option of applying now, like the attorney advised, if you are (capable of) making over $1k per month is not a good idea IMO. That set's you up for a denial and the uphill battle of a protracted application process that will likely take years and would need to have a change of onset date later on anyway. The upside for an attorney is that he's likely to collect a full fee at some point.

You don't have to wait to file until you've been working below the SGA level for any specific length of time, but, you won't collect a dime until you've been out for 5 months. And your condition should be expected to last one year.

Unless you live in a state with short term disability insurance (listed above) or your school district offers private temp disability ins as part of your benefits, then you'll likely have a difficult financial period. The government expects the middle class to live off their savings during short periods of disability. If you're laid off (unrelated to your medical condition) you might be able collect unemployment, but this is not the best scenario in which to apply. Not that it's an issue that's insurmountable, but...

When you apply for SSDI, you are claiming you are not only unable to work at past jobs, but that you are unable to work at any job. This includes low level PT jobs where you might be capable of making $1000 per month. A Voc Rehab Counselor will evaluate you based upon your doc/s listed work restrictions.
LIT LOVE is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Eowyn (12-27-2011)