View Single Post
Old 03-27-2007, 07:07 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

This is a very good article to have posted here. Many people feel guilty or like they have to keep the doctor they've been seeing, even when that doctor no longer offers them the proper care.

I "fired" my oncologist in November. He had overseen my chemotherapy, surgery and radiation treatments. When it came to my aftercare or follow-up, however, he dropped the ball. It was like once the cancer was in remission, I ceased to exist.

My mother-in-law talked to the oncologist who had treated her husband, and I was lucky in that he agreed to take on my care, even though his practice is overflowing.

I had end stage 3 breast cancer with metastases to the lymph nodes. For me, there is no such thing as a cure. There is remission. I know this and I have accepted it. My former oncologist did not. He felt I was cured and needed no aftercare. My current oncologist does labwork on me once a month, and scans every three months. In his words, "you had a very late stage and aggressive cancer. It had gotten in your lymphatic system which means it can go anywhere. We need to constantly monitor you so that we catch it as soon as possible when it comes back."

Always remember - you pay your doctor to take care of you. If you aren't being treated properly, by all means...fire them and find someone who will work with you. It could very well be the difference between life and death, or at least quality of life.
Nemekke is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote