Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member
Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle M View Post

Cognitive Behavioral Therapy for Tics (CBIT)….which I had read about online but hadn’t given much credence to.
Hi Michelle
glad to hear you found help for your daughter

I just wanted to mention that CBIT is Comprehensive Behavioral Intervention for Tics not Cognitive Behavioral Therapy for Tics

Cognititive Behavioral Therapy is CBT and is somewhat different, and usually a treatment for OCD

I do know of some people who have TS and who tried habit reversal therapy, and actually were not helped by it as, for some, bringing focus to tics seems to cause them to involuntarily increase. A few mentioned that they actually found the results very negative, and one found a spike in OCD after trying it.
I always struggled with the term "habit reversal therapy" in TS because TS tics are not "habits"...they are involuntary neurological reactions.

Also, some kids tic for a variety of other reasons and need nutritional, anti-allergy and other interventions, including those who tic because of strep infection (PANDAS) who need antibiotic and other intensive treatments.
So again the old adage...what works for some does not always work for others
Chemar is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote