View Single Post
Old 12-29-2011, 10:25 AM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

I've been thinking about this thread.

You know in the ADHD world and also the autism spectrum disorders, there are comments about brain dominance of right vs left.

This article goes into that:
http://www.leapingfromthebox.com/art...ngstyles2.html

From what I've gathered, over time myself, looking for things to help my son, back when he was young, what I learned was that in children there is a tendency for ADHD kids and some others, to show right brain dominance at younger ages. They may tend to take longer to develop the left hemisphere executive functions, and the age they do this varies from child to child.

I can remember my son one summer at age 12 being much easier to communicate with and interact with. I used to joke that he was finally becoming "human" and more adult. He'd respond to logic more effectively and was almost a different person! (he tended to be emotional and reactive prior to this maturation stage).

So this comment from the neuro about the underdeveloped brain, may reflect this developmental path. And not really an organic defect that would seem to be much more alarming IMO to a parent. Therefore, I think you really should get a copy of that MRI....which would show some organic defect. But if it is essentially normal...I'd question using drugs on him at this point, if he is psychologically at a cusp for a new developmental milestone.

Perhaps seeing a child centered psychologist may be helpful and perhaps even more helpful for you at this time?

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Dmom3005 (01-23-2012)