View Single Post
Old 12-29-2011, 10:35 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

The information on this forum is extraordinary and I really appreciate the help. Through your responses, and in particular the post by Glenntaj, I read the full report from Dr Dyck at the Mayo Clinic on post surgery neuropathy and believe that is what I have, as it is remote from the surgical site, bilateral and symetrical.

As a newbie however, I am still pretty confused. It looks to me that the post surgery neuropathy is the small fibre variety which is diagnosed by a nerve biopsy and would not necessarily be shown in an EMG. Is that right?

My doctor said that my EMG showed slight axonal damage, but I do not understand the numerical results. I do not understand if axonal damage is consistent with the post surgery neuropathy.

Finally, assuming the nerve assault was related to the initial post surgery healing process, does that mean the assault is over (surgery was in August 2010) and that the nerves, whether small fibre or long, will heal?

BTW, I did hundreds of hours of research, including investigating many of the hip forums and reading scientific and lay articles, before I settled on my hip procedure and my surgeon. So as a person who takes his own medical conditions and his health very seriously, I am disappointed that I have this problem. I think: I could have done better to do what others do - Just go with the nearest surgeon and do what he/she says and ask no questions.

Thanks again to all!
Zman is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote