View Single Post
Old 12-29-2011, 12:46 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Yellow - I wanted to post a quick comment on the grad school issue....as having gone through grad school I've "been there, done that." When I was applying, and even through my first three years - I did EVERYTHING "for grad school." The best way to explain this is, during my first year, I herniated a disc, that didn't get better. I put myself in misery each and every day - because I thought I had too. I was talked into surgery as a "quick fix" because the surgeon made it sound like I would be up and at 'em a week or so after a laminectomy. Time after time, I put my health aside for school. Now that I am on the other side of things (I now help mentor grad students)....I realize how stupid I was. You need to put your health first. Take the time you need for recovery - don't push it. Call the grad school in question, and explain the situation. Ask if they would be willing to meet with you at a later date. Have a previous professor write a letter to help back you up. Hell, if you PM me the school, It may be that I can even be able to write something (depending on the school) to someone to give you the time your body needs to recover.

-Heather
CoralToe is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Mark56 (12-30-2011), ron h (12-30-2011), Rrae (12-30-2011), Sandy Kay (12-29-2011)