View Single Post
Old 12-29-2011, 08:57 PM
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Default Question about diabetes and pancreatis

This question concerns a 32 year old alcoholic who has been hospitalized MANY times with pancreatitis complications. He was diagnosed diabetic last year and given insulin and a meter but didn't use either of these things.

He has yet again been hospitalized and for whatever reason, he bounces back, (after 3 transfusions of platelets) he had been diagnosed with this long name thing but it's low platelet count.

So he was stabilized, he was sent home (after being at death's door almost) and his sugar was 350.

I was just told the following from a family member.

"He doesn't really have diabetes. He's on Levimir (the light kind) and he doesn't have to take this every day. And he can get off of this eventually. He's on Levimir to give his pancreas a rest so he can heal, and he says he'll stop drinking". What the heck is "the light kind"?

He's been drinking for 15 years and won't go to rehab so that's not happening any time soon. It's only a matter of time before he'll be hospitalized once again.

My question is as follows:

Can he be told he's a diabetic and then one year later be told "oh, you are not really a diabetic you are only on Levimr to give your pancreas a rest and once it's rested you can go off of Levimir'.

I have never heard this in all my life and I wanted to verify that this MIGHT be true.

I'm not opening my mouth, this is for my information purpose only.

Thanks much

Mel

CONSUMER REPORTER
SPROUT-LADY

MelodyL is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote