Thread: Mg & ms?
View Single Post
Old 12-29-2011, 10:46 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi, J. Welcome.

I'm glad GrannyJo chimed in here. There are a lot of people who have more than one autoimmune disease. I have MG and celiac disease. Some people have MG and lupus. I'm sorry you have MG and MS. It might make it hard to figure out if it's the MG or MS causing weakness, which is an important distinction.

Nerve damage of MS can cause muscle weakness. With MG, it's all about fatigable weakness. So try to think of whether an activity has set off any weakness you might having during or after (up to days after) you do something. That sounds rather silly, I know. Not many people just sit around not doing anything!

Did you know that Tysabri can come with a risk of PML? You may not get it but you at least need to be aware of that risk, in case a doctor didn't tell you about it BEFORE prescribing it for you.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0000289/

If you haven't already, you might want to get your B12 and folic acid checked. Even if you don't have a deficiency, B12 can help with the secondary assault to the peripheral nerves in MS. The sublingual form of B12 is absorbed by placing it under the tongue and going right to work in the bloodstream. The B12 shots are cyanocobalamin and have to be converted by the liver into methylcobalamin before the body can use it. I use Jarrow Methylcobalamin (5 mg). Some people like the Source Naturals brand. Studies have shown that daily B12 can help heal nerve damage, like after surgery, with shingles, etc.

I hope you can figure out what to do for treatments. I know that the generic Mestinon works for some people. My neuro insisted that I take the brand version. Why? The generic formulas are not the same and they may or may not be good enough. Generics are "copies" and not necessarily the same and don't have to go through the same rigorous clinical trials before going to market. Yeah, they're cheaper but sometimes not better.

Good luck!

Annie
AnnieB3 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote