Thread: Mitochondria:
View Single Post
Old 12-30-2011, 12:14 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

The thing I don't get is why so many doctors and socalled experts focus on the thyroid, adrenal glands, etc., and get all caught up in that, but don't take it back a step to the mitochondria. They assume a specific part of the endocrine system is dysfunctional.

I'm looking up mitochondria in my chronic fatigue books and references are few and far between.

I also don't get why Dr. Teitelbaum, one of the experts on chronic fatigue, who seems to get the importance of mitochondria, wants people to get on thyroid meds, and then wean them off the meds once their mitochondria are working right.

I think Dr. Sarah Myhill is a genius.

I'm starting some testing on possible synergy between Mg and CoQ10 absorbed at the same time. A significant amount of Mg with CoQ10 seems to make the CoQ10 much more effective. Both of course play major roles with ATP. The tests are transdermal Mg (4-6 tblsz:30 mins)+ oral CoQ10 (100mg).

I've been having difficulty finding local testing for ATP/mitochondria.

Dr. Myhill does ATP profiles:

"The first part of the test is called "ATP profiles" and has been developed by Dr John McLaren-Howard at Biolab in London. It measures the rate at which ATP is recycled in cells and because production of ATP is highly dependent on magnesium status so the first part of the test studies this aspect. The second part of the test measures the efficiency with which ATP is made from ADP. If this is abnormal, then this could be as a result of magnesium deficiency, and/or low levels of Co-enzyme Q10, and/or low levels of vitamin B3 (NAD) and/or low levels of acetyl L-carnitine. The third possibility is that the protein which transports ATP and ADP across mitochondrial membrane is impaired and this is also measured."

I'd love to know if my mito membranes are shot. One of the reasons I'm keen on taurine is its membrane powers. Taurine is a powerful cell membrane stabilizer.
NeuroLogic is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
DejaVu (10-14-2012)