View Single Post
Old 12-30-2011, 07:34 AM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

Benadryl has anticholinergic properties...so yes, it would be problematic for MGers. It is also a problem for men with prostate issues, for the same reason.

All of the first generation antihistamines are included because they have these anticholinergic actions too.

Second generation ones like Claritin and Allegra may be better, but I'll leave that to Annie who is planning a long list of drugs to avoid. The second generation ones are less effective as antihistamines also, and do not have drowsiness side effects (Claritin and Allegra).

Zyrtec is related to Atarax and therefore problematic as well, but less so.

I am not sure about Naproxyn (Aleve). Someone with allergies to NSAIDs may have swallowing problems if allergic to it.
There is a dry mouth reported side effect but it is less than 1%... and most drugs that cause dry mouth are not used in MGers, either.

I am sure others will be along with answers for you, that are more definitive.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
AnnieB3 (12-30-2011), SoftTalker (09-26-2013)