View Single Post
Old 12-30-2011, 10:02 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoralToe View Post
Yellow - I wanted to post a quick comment on the grad school issue....as having gone through grad school I've "been there, done that." When I was applying, and even through my first three years - I did EVERYTHING "for grad school." The best way to explain this is, during my first year, I herniated a disc, that didn't get better. I put myself in misery each and every day - because I thought I had too. I was talked into surgery as a "quick fix" because the surgeon made it sound like I would be up and at 'em a week or so after a laminectomy. Time after time, I put my health aside for school. Now that I am on the other side of things (I now help mentor grad students)....I realize how stupid I was. You need to put your health first. Take the time you need for recovery - don't push it. Call the grad school in question, and explain the situation. Ask if they would be willing to meet with you at a later date. Have a previous professor write a letter to help back you up. Hell, if you PM me the school, It may be that I can even be able to write something (depending on the school) to someone to give you the time your body needs to recover.

-Heather
Thanks Heather, I appreciate it, and you're right, of course. I need to hear things like that sometimes. I promise I'll do all I can to not push myself, and I'll stand up for my own health and recovery My school just dropped a bomb on me recently anyway that I'll be 11 credits short of graduating after previously telling me that I'd be fine, and because of the holidays I can't get ahold of them. So unless I can get something figured out, I may have to take another semester in the fall of all electives- something I'm extremely opposed to. I'll be so glad when I'm done with school finally and can work in my career to help children.
yellow is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ron h (12-30-2011), Rrae (12-30-2011)