Thread: Mitochondria:
View Single Post
Old 12-30-2011, 10:18 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I think I wrote in a previous post that up to 30% of the cell's energy is used for the Mg-Ca pump. Dr. Myhill says it's higher:

Quote:
I actually now believe that a low red cell magnesium is a symptom of mitochondrial failure. It is the
job of mitochondria to produce ATP for cell metabolism and about 40% of all mitochondrial output
goes into maintaining calcium/magnesium and sodium/potassium ion pumps. I suspect that when
mitochondria fail, these pumps malfunction and therefore calcium leaks into cells and magnesium
leaks out of cells. This, of course, compounds the underlying mitochondrial failure because calcium
is toxic to mitochondria and magnesium necessary for normal mitochondrial function. This is just
one of the many vicious cycles we see in patients with fatigue syndromes.

http://drmyhill.co.uk/drmyhill/image...fs_book_27.pdf (p. 40).
If Ca is indeed "toxic to mitochondria," I wonder how many people who've bought into the Calcium hype are suffering mito problems because of it.

Myhill is the first doctor I've come across who advocates Mg injections when it's not a cardiac emergency. But she explains the reason well. She's been helping CFS patients for 20 years and seen over 4,500 of them. She even advocates self-injections of Mg, which is interesting.
NeuroLogic is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
adelina (12-30-2011), DejaVu (10-14-2012)