View Single Post
Old 01-01-2012, 12:47 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leesa View Post
I'm no doctor so this is ONLY my opinion, but you MIGHT be able to get away with putting off surgery for awhile, but since the discs are flattening the cord, it won't be long before you will HAVE to have the surgery --- so you might as well have it now before it becomes an emergency situation! You certainly don't want any permanent nerve damage either!

I'm glad you're seeing a Neurosurgeon, but please get at LEAST one other opinion besides this one. Two would be best! You never want to jump into surgery without exhausting all other options!

I wish you the very best. Take care & God bless. Hugs, Lee
Hi Melissa,

I am a doctor and would tell you to stop asking people here whether or not you need surgery based off of what untrained individuals tell you from reading your MRI report. An MRI is a visual snapshot of one moment in time that MUST be correlated with your compaints and physical exam findings. It is supportive only, of your diagnosis. Your findings are comparatively not that bad. And BTW, you have other conservative measures to try; medrol, epidurals, PT, accupuncture, chiropractic, time.....

Most of all, be patient....go see the neuro but please be aware that controlled studies have shown that those having discectomy/fusion do no better than those who do not have surgery at 1 year post (subtracting those who were surgically emergant, of course). You might need surgery; who knows? But no one can make that call by only reading an MRI reprt. Time and statistics are on your (non-surgical) side.
Dubious is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote