Thread: TOS in the UK.
View Single Post
Old 01-01-2012, 04:09 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clematis View Post
klm207, I am not sure what tests are needed. In my case the most helpful tests were functional dopler ultrasound of my artery and x-ray.

The dopler study showed arterial compression and the x-ray image showed an extra cervical rib or a far too long transverse process that that was fused to my first rib. Interestingly, the extra ribs had not been mentioned in the MRI scan report. The surgeon said this is very typical and therefore the x-ray is always needed. She also mentioned that my first ribs were a bit abnormal shape which is linked to TOS. In the operation an extra scalene muscle (!) was found and removed too.

I also went through a venogram (that showed compression of my vein under pectoralis minor), then the MRIs I mentioned (did not show anything) and some nerve conduction studies (were fine).

SD38, oh gosh you had TOS for 6 years before you got diagnosis! Have you been able to work during that time?

debbietellez, the American info both made me scared and gave me strength. Because I lost my ability to work from the beginning of the symptoms I had to take a risk and go through the surgery.
I've managed to continue working but over the last few years my hours have reduced dramatically, I'm now part time: 3 hours/day. I've also had to adapt and make alot of life style changes to help me cope with the symptoms. I work hard on things like trying to reinforce good posture and limit working with my arms as much as possible.... if its not needed I don't volunteer it. There are many things I just can't attempt anymore. Heavy lifting is an absolute no no and even to try and do a gentle job/exercises causes issues for me! I'm managing just, but at least I can still earn alittle which helps with my self esteem, I just hope it stays that way??? FINGERS CROSSED!
It's been pretty tough at times, I just have to be very aware of signals that my body send out and know when to quit and rest up. I'm more at a mental struggle at the moment due to not being as physically active as I used to be..... VERY FRUSTRATING...... I miss jogging.
SD38 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
debbietellez (01-03-2012), Joanna81 (01-06-2012)