View Single Post
Old 01-01-2012, 12:33 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Book I answered my own question

I took the advice from other posts to look up terms and basically answered my own question. I am posting to help others.
Comments:
Evaluation of the lumbar spine demonstrates [U]straightening of the lordosis [/U](Straightening of the lordosis is when the spine does not have it's normal slight curvature. The straightening is usually caused by muscle spasms or pain.) without any acute compression fracture deformity. There is no spinal stenosis. The conus terminates normally at L1. The STIR images do not demonstrate any discrete vertebral body lesions or bone marrow edema. There is relative decrease in the amount of bone marrow fat seen on T1 and T2 weighted images. This could be related to the high portions of hematopoietic marrow in the lumbar spine.
Evaluation of the axial images demonstrate the following:

At the level of L3-4, there is a small disc protrusion without any neural foraminal narrowing. There is moderate facet joint disease.

At the level of L4-5, there is no neural foraminal narrowing. There is a small disc protrusion (herniation of intervertebral disk: protrusion of the nucleus pulposus or anulus fibrosus of the disk, which may impinge on nerve roots.) with a posterior midline [U]annular tear [/U](occurs when the tough exterior (or the annulus fibrosus) on an intervertebral disc rips or tears.) which is in close proximity to the exiting nerve root of the lower level without any mass effect. There is moderate facet joint disease (small stabilizing joints located between and behind adjacent vertebrae. When the facets are affected in the lumbar region, a person can experience lower back pain that can go to the buttocks and upper thigh area. Significant lower back pain is rarely caused by facet disease because most patients who suffer from facet disease will often have other conditions contributing to their symptoms.) This protrusion is indenting the ventral aspect of the thecal sac (a membrane of dura mater that surrounds the spinal cord and the cauda equina. This thecal sac is filed with cerebral spinal fluid.) with borderline spinal stenosis (Spinal stenosis is any narrowing of the spinal canal that causes compression of the spinal nerve cord. Spinal stenosis causes pain and may cause loss of some body functions.)
At the level of L5-S1, there is mild to bilateral neural foraminal narrowing (Not only are the L5 and S1 nerve roots the most commonly pinched nerves in the lower back, but these nerves also feed into the sciatic nerve – a long nerve that travels from the lower back, down each leg, and into the feet. When foraminal stenosis, or narrowing, is present in the L5 and S1 spinal segments, the sciatic nerve can become pinched or pressured, leading to sciatica, meaning pain that starts in the lower back and travels through the pelvic region, buttocks, and typically down one leg to the bottom of the feet.) caused by a combination of disc protrusion and facet joint arthropathy.
JB214 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
seahorse02 (01-07-2012)